Say hello to Big Bird



Yes, I named my car.  Meet Big Bird, my gold Subaru Outback. My car has been modified so that I can drive using my hands only.  "Look, Mom, no feet!"



Pulling, or "rocking" the controls in my left hand causes Big Bird to accelerate. Pushing the controls forward activates the brakes. I use my right hand to control the steering wheel with the help of a knob which is fastened to the wheel. This knob is detachable so that a regularly-abled person can drive the vehicle.

The modifications also include a footplate which covers the accelerator and brake foot pedals so that my feet do not accidentally bump them. I typically do not to use this feature because I tend to position my feet far back so they are no where near the foot pedals. Also, I see the footplate as slightly inconvenient because when it is in place, my feet feel cramped and my knees tend to hit the metal rods below the steering wheel which connect the hand controls into the gas and brake system.



Warning: This vehicle has been modified with an adaptive driving device to be used by trained and licensed operators only
I love how Big Bird has a warning sticker when both the character and the vehicle couldn't be more rated G. The warning is very serious, however, as those unfamiliar with how to use the controls could easily get in an accident. The installers of the modifications have horror stories of their misuse. At a full service car wash, one of the attendants got behind the wheel of a modified car without knowing what they were doing. As a consequence, they plowed through a brick wall, pinning and ultimately paralyzing another co-worker!

0 comments:

Post a Comment