Asexual mess I am not

Looking back on one of my old posts entitled strictly platonic, I wonder if people look at me and other people with disabilities as if we were asexual. Such assumptions are not true. A small percentage of people show complete disinterest in sex, and therefore could be considered asexual.

It is amazing what people can manage to surmise just by looking at another person, never having talked to them, or without knowing who they are. Some conclusions may be accurate but most of the time they are not. I have been wanting want to dispel such false conclusions as they can easily be made without my knowledge. And who really can correct a first impression anyway? Not every person that gathers a first impression of you will take the time to get to know you and prove or disprove their initial hypothesis.

I don't know why people think of the disabled as being asexual or sterile. I've been asked some strange questions regarding my sexuality and ability to reproduce. Such These questions have led to some of the more baffling and awkward moments of my life. Being pat on the head like a dog, and told "good girl" when a teacher's aide in high school asked if I was capable of having children and I responded with a confused "yes?!"

I mean really, why does this question pop into people's heads and go so far as to be considered appropriate to ask? I want to go up to random people and ask them "are you fertile?" and record their reactions in some way. How would you feel if someone asked you that, in an out of the blue context? At least kids only ask "what's wrong with you?" and don't take it further than that. I never thought I would consider a curious young child to be more polite than their adult counterpart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment