Idols through the years of my life

When I was five years old I wanted to be The Little Mermaid, perhaps in a subconscious effort to renounce cerebral palsy and exchange my dysfunctional legs for a mermaid's tail.

In my junior year of high school my English teacher nurtured my love for writing and literature. She was my confidant as I did not have friends or trust my peers. I wanted to get a PhD just like her.

Laura was like a second mother to me, she struck me as a strong woman, independent, free spirited and hard working. She was so kind and always thought of other people. I loved the condo she live in. I thought to myself when I grow up, I want to be like Laura from her kindness to her condominium.  In 2006 she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, stage four.

I want to be a talented poet like Sylvia Plath without committing suicide at age 30. I wish to say goodbye to depression before that age too.

Sloane Crosley is an essayist who writes with what I would consider enviable wit and humor. If I can learn to tell a story as well as she does than I will be able to sell a book. Which means, I will at least be able to pay my electric bill.

I accept the fact that I am already like my mother. So many children try to avoid being like their parents, but I am already there so why not embrace it? It's not so bad. I love her, she is my best friend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment